Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lightning


I recently dreamt that I stood under a bolt of lightning. A searing stream of energy poured forth out of a white globe in the clouds. Amazingly, I was not hurt. Rather than feeling afraid, I felt safe. As I watched it move across the landscape and over me, somehow I knew that it would protect me even as it charged everything else in its path. It felt like God’s powerful presence surrounding me.
As the dream faded into the reality of the day, the vivid memory of it remained. Then several unique things happened that brought great alteration, significant change, and God’s hand upon my life. I kept going back to the imagery of the dream. 
The voice of the Lord strikes with flashes of lightning. (Psalm 29:7) In the forces of nature, we find God. Too often we only hear of how this indicates punishment—as in, “If you’ve been bad, you’ll get struck by lightning!” Even worse is to place blame: “The earthquake was God’s retribution on those wicked ones.”
The whole creation groans.(Rom 8:22) It bucks and heaves just as we do inside of our souls, yearning for peace. My dream reminded me that God’s lightning-strong power is for the world, and uniquely, for me.
Unleash your creative power in our world, God, and in my life. Amen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Read Bono, A.S. Byatt, and the Dalai Lama's personal repsonse to books of the Bible.
The why and the how of lightning.
How do I capture something like this on film?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Second Minute: Your Thoughts and Observations